A hardwood floor is a great option when redecorating your home. Many design elements that a person selects will say a lot about them and their personal tastes and preferences. The floor, walls, window treatments, and architecture make a great statement about the person or family that lives there. Here are 6 good reasons to select a hardwood floor when decorating the interior of your home:
1) Classic: Hardwood floors have been around for many hundreds of years. Some of the original Victorian structures, Craftsman-style homes, or even primitive log cabins of yesteryear sported wooden planks underfoot. Some people over the years have chosen to cover theirs totally or partially with rugs and carpets. Others like the look of bare wood with no trim.
2) Green Alternatives – It is possible to have this elegant and rich look without damaging any trees. Reclaimed wood is a hot item due to its eco-friendliness. With the reclaimed products, the wood is harvested from old warehouses, fences, whiskey barrels, pickle tubs, signage, and more. This existing wood is rejuvenated, restored and transformed into planks. Any imperfection is a bonus because it tells historical stories about the origin of the product. Fast-growing woods, such as bamboo, have also become quite popular due to the rapid replenishment that is possible.
3) Easy on allergies: Carpets are a known culprit in aggravating allergies in people. Whether allergic reactions come from the fibers that carpets are made of, chemicals in the backing material or glues, or from dust and debris that get trapped deep in the fabric, they can be quite troublesome. Wall-to-wall carpeting has fallen out of favor with many who are prone to breathing difficulties and asthma.
4) It can’t be stained like carpets – a hardwood floor can be restored over and over again. It can be peeled and dyed in dark, medium or light colors. If you spill a glass of wine on it, you can clean it up. This is not the case for carpets or rugs. A carpet stain usually lasts forever, even if it fades after multiple scrubs and cleaners.
5) Softer than tile – Tile is another popular flooring product that many choose due to its durability and easy cleaning. However, many tiles are very hard underfoot. People suffering from foot problems, hip pain, knee problems, or back problems may find that many tile products are too harsh on their joints. Wood offers more cushioning with each step that an inhabitant takes.
6) Long-lasting: wooden floors last a long time. With proper maintenance, repainting, and loving care, a wooden plank or parquet product can outlive the homeowners. Carpets often have to be replaced every few years, but cherry, oak, pine, or bamboo can be forever.
Whichever flooring is chosen will have a huge impact on the interior appearance of the home. The walls can be painted any color or even wallpaper for an individual statement. Curtains, small blinds, or plantation shutters can make a big difference in window décor. A wooden floor can say a lot about the tastes of the owners and complement the decoration. There is a product available for all tastes and budgets.